Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

raw vs jpeg

So awhile back Ivy took this camera class.  She had to have a DSLR.  We got a Nikon D80.  We spent a week figuring out how to change the shutter speed.  then a couple more weeks figuring out why you would even want to do that.  I eventually figured out the basic settings and when to use them.  

Lately I've been trying to figure out photoshop elements.   Since her class I've been using lightroom for basic editing and work flow management.  Lightroom help you do quick fixes and filter through all the photos so you can just work with your good ones.  I've been doing the online lessons at Lynda.com they are excellent it is $25 a month but I've found it very worthwhile.  Also youtube and many other sites have tutorials.  

One thing I always seem to be adjusting is the white balance.  You know how some lights make everyone look blue and some make them look yellow.  White  balance adjustments help correct for different light sources.  I keep reading that for editing shooting in raw is better.  So I'm giving it a try to see if I notice a difference.  Here's my first one.   It sort of looks like my other photos.
-Rick

No comments: