Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dropbox

So I've been on the prowl lately for a safe but efficient way to back up all my photos.  Most of them are only digital so if the computer where to crash then I would be sad.  I had toyed with several ideas. 
1. DVD/CD
-looking online they don't have a super long  life span at least not the home writeable ones
2.multiple hard drives
-would work but I hadn't found any software to sync them that I really liked
3.make them into blurb books
-I've started doing that but it's only a partial solution
4.copy them back and forth between several computers to make sure both have a full copy-
-seems like an OK idea but relies on my diligence in doing that which seems unlikely
5.getting a home server with redundant hard drives
-this is one of my favorite ideas but I'm too cheap.
6. was hoping googles gdrive would be up and running sooner than later.
-looks like it might come out this year but I got tired of waiting.

So I'm now using dropbox.  It uses a folder on your computer.  Anything that goes in that folder get backed up online and on up to 3 computers that have the dropbox program installed.   Up to 2GB is free and up to 50GB is $10/month.  $10 seems like cheap insurance for all the family photos.  I have close to 50GB so I'm hoping dropbox increases it's storage capacity or gdrive get up and running.  Thought dropbox has a nice interface so I might stick with that.  Also with dropbox all of your files are available online.  So if you're somewhere else and want to access your spreadsheet or photos they are available.  I just dragged my photo folders into the dropbox folder and it synced them up.   Obviously the first sync will take awhile but then it will only transfer the changed files.  I'm not sure I would even attempt with dial up.    There are other services that do similar things but this one has worked nice for me.  

I thought I'd do this post since I enjoyed Tabs about the incredible hangars.  I found it useful.  
-rick

ps if you use this link I think we both get some free storage.  It's a referral link.  Just cut and paste in to address bar.  
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTU4MDEwODk

1 comment:

Kabuski said...

Thanks Rick. This is most informative!