Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010


My second or third attempt at doing a brisket.  This time I decided I might have better luck with doing two at a time since they could drip onto each other.  Sort of self basting.  This is the spices I used for the rub.  Each brisket was around 7-8 lbs.  link to susanminor.org that contains recipe for rub and general brisket instructions.







I didn't do much prep.  Trimmed of some of the hanging fat.










I followed the very nicely done tutorial on the bradley smoker forum. click here for tutorial.  This is my briskets patted down with the rub and then slathered in mustard.







Right out of the smoker.  Picture makes it look a little too black but it had a perfect bark. I put it in at 8pm and it came out of smoker around 3pm the next day.  Most of the time smoker was between 200-225F.  I followed the instructions linked above.  Used a water tray in bottom and rotated so they would baste each other.  Took out at internal temp of 190F.





This is my first attempt using the "foil, towel, cooler method."










Here is the finished product.  Bark was perfect.  Much better than my previous attempts where I finished in oven using the "texas crutch"  My issue was they were a little dry on the bottom.  The rest was beautifully moist and tasty.  I think I will leave them on the top two racks instead of the bottom ones next time and see if that helps.

Either way was a good dinner.  The Browers came over.  She brought red rice, fresh rolls and corn on the cob.  Ivy made loaded mashed potatoes.  I have become a big fan of having rice and mashed potatoes mixed together?
-rick

1 comment:

Kabuski said...

Looks great! So sad I missed out on all that yumminess.