Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Man and a Guitar

So as part of my journey to becoming an old man I've begun to like a certain kind of music.  It mainly seems to consist of a man and a guitar.  Good thing there seems to be lots of artists that fits the bill.  I don't mind if sometimes they have a drummer.  Ivy describes it as gay music.  No offense to people that are actually gay.  There was an Elvis Costello song that had a line something like, "you're a pig you're a swine and that's an insult to the pig"  When she says my music is gay keep that line in mind.

I think it started with James Taylor when I was about 20,  Then awhile ago Jack Johnson.  Then last year or so John Mayer.   Recently I've been listening to Brett Dennen and The Tallest man on Earth.  I'm sure there are many more artists that fill the bill.  If you know of any send them my way.  I tend toward the folky side of things.  I'm going to keep this is a ongoing list and update as I find more people I like.  These are the ones off the top of my head.  If you want to hear them www.grooveshark.com is probably the easiest way.

James Taylor: Something in the Way She Moves
John Mayer: the whole Village Sessions album, especially Slow Dancing in a Burning Room
Brett Dennen: Desert Sunrise
Tallest man on Earth: Pistol Dreams
Alexi Murdoch: All My Days
Jack Johnson:  Banana Pancakes (don't listen to him much anymore?)

Here's the Tallest Man on Earth Video from when he performed on NPR(I know more old man stuff)



No comments: